Office of Technology and Electronic Commerce logo and link to OFFICE OF TECHNOLOGY AND ELECTRONIC COMMERCE
home image
Market Research
U.S. Industry
Trade Events
Export Assistance
Trade Policy
Industry Specialists
Quick Reference

Country/Regional Research

Industry/Sector Research

ExportIT Reports & Market Briefs

Customized Market Research

Publications & Newsletters

Research by Country/Region January 20, 2018  
U.S. Export Controls

Printer-Friendly Version

If an IT product uses encryption technology it may require an export license from the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS). BIS's website explains information such as
1) whether you need an export license,
2) whether you need (and how to get) an Export Commodity Classification Number,
3) what forms you must submit, and
4) in what cases licenses are also required from the Department of State, etc.

If, after reviewing their site, you are unclear on your obligations, please contact BIS staff directly. They can counsel you on your obligations under the Export Administration Regulations and assist in determining your licensing requirements.

For information on the export of high performance computers, call 202-482-0707 or visit this BIS
web page.

Approved by Bobby for 508 compliancy, you do not need to have this image on your web pages!! This page was last updated on 04/16/2003. This site is operated by the Office of Technology and Electronic Commerce (OTEC) division of the International Trade Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce.

Contact OTEC | About OTEC | OTEC Site Map |Privacy Policy | Endorsement Policy
U.S. Department of Commerce | International Trade Administration |