Market Reports/Tariffs
Textiles, Apparel, Footwear and Travel Goods


Import Tariffs
Market Information

Last updated on 08/07/2017

If you have any questions about the following information, please contact Rachel Alarid at the U.S. Department of Commerce- Office of Textiles and Apparel at 202-482-3400 or click here for e-mail access.

**The following information is provided only as a guide and should be confirmed with the proper authorities before embarking on any export activities.**

Import Tariffs - Canada
Textile and apparel goods manufactured in the United States enter Canada duty free under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) if they qualify under the rules of the Agreement. For more information, see the NAFTA summary in the FTA section.

Products from the U.S. that do not qualify under the NAFTA rules are subject to Canada's MFN rates of duty. Canada applies percent ad valorem duties on the f.o.b. (free on board) value of imports.

Canada Tariffs (percent ad valorem) for Textiles, Apparel, Footwear and Travel Goods
HS Chapter/
Tariff Rate Range (%)
0 - 8
-other vegetable fiber
-man-made fiber
0 - 8
Woven Fabric
-other vegetable fiber
-man-made fiber
Knit Fabric
Non Woven Fabric
Industrial Fabric
0 - 18
0 - 18
Home Furnishings
including: bed, bath, kitchen linens, etc.
0 - 18


Travel Goods


0 - 14

0 - 20

0 - 11

* Tariffs for babies' garments and clothing accessories in 61.11 and 62.09 is 0%.

For more detailed tariff information, see Canada's tariff schedule on the Canadian Border Services Agency's - CBSA website. Also see, the Current Situation of Schedules of WTO Members.

For information on duty remission programs for textiles and apparel, which allow eligible companies to import certain products on a duty-free basis, see the Department of Finance - Canada.

Additional Import Taxes and Fees--Textile and apparel imports are subject to a 5-percent Goods and Services Tax (GST) applied on the duty-paid value of imported goods plus any other duties and taxes. The GST is paid to Revenue Canada by the importer once the goods clear customs. Each Province, except Alberta, also has a Retail Sales Tax.

Samples/Temporary Entry--Canada allows temporary duty-free entry of certain commercial goods, such as commercial samples, for trade shows and product demonstrations. For those goods that qualify, a Temporary Admission Permit, Form E29B will be required and a refundable security deposit may be required. For more information on the conditions and procedures for temporarily entry of goods into Canada for a convention, meeting, trade show, or exhibition, see the CBSA publication, Memorandum D8-1-2. U.S. exporters, on the advice of the Canadian importer, may acquire an ATA carnet.

It is important to note that since the implementation of the NAFTA, many U.S. goods are duty-free, thus eliminating the need for temporary entry. However, the GST is still applicable on duty-free goods, while goods entered temporarily may be eligible for relief from GST.

ATA Carnet--An ATA Carnet or "Merchandise Passport" is a document that facilitates the temporary importation of products into foreign countries by eliminating tariffs and other import taxes or charges normally required at the time of importation. For more information or to apply for an ATA Carnet, see the United States Council for International Business website.

If your product is primarily made in the U.S. of U.S. originating components it may qualify for duty-free entry into countries with which the U.S. has a free trade agreement (FTA). The U.S. currently has FTAs with the following countries: Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Jordan, Mexico, Morocco, Nicaragua, Oman, Panama, Peru, Singapore and South Korea. See the FTA Tariff Tool, to determine the duty-free status or reduced duties that apply to products eligible under these free trade agreements.

Additional resources for tariff information:

Return to Top

Import Documentation/Procedures (Canada)

The NAFTA Certificate of Origin is not a required document to ship to Canada. In fact, it should only be filled out if the product qualifies for NAFTA preferential treatment. Products not manufactured or produced within the NAFTA region do not qualify for NAFTA preferential tariff treatment. See the U.S. Department of Commerce's NAFTA Certificate of Origin Interactive Tool for information on the NAFTA Certificate of Origin process.

Tariff Preference Levels - TPLs are preferential tariff quotas for non-originating textiles and clothing (i.e., textiles and clothing manufactured in an FTA country that do not meet the FTA rules of origin). To benefit from these TPLs, import licences are required and are granted on a first come first served basis. For further information, see the Global Affairs Canada webpage on Textiles & Clothing.

For more information on local customs rules and regulations:
Canadian Border Services Agency - CBSA

For information on common export documents, such as transportation documents, export compliance documents, certificates of origin, certificates for shipments of specific goods, temporary shipment documents, and other export-related documents, see the webpage on Common Export Documents.

For country-specific information on import procedures and documentation requirements, see the
Country Commercial Guides (CCG) on the website.

Return to Top

Import Restrictions (Canada)
No information is currently available on any bans, quotas, or other restrictions.
U.S. Export Restrictions:

The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) in the U.S. Department of the Treasury administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions against targeted foreign countries, terrorists, and international narcotics traffickers and their agents in accordance with U.S. foreign policy and national security goals. The OFAC website includes summaries of sanctions programs for various countries and the “Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons” (SDNs) list of entities and individuals with whom U.S. persons may not conduct business and whose property must be blocked if under the control of a U.S. person.

The Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) in the U.S. Department of Commerce is responsible for implementing and enforcing the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), which regulate the export and re-export of most commercial items. BIS maintains the Denied Persons List, which consists of individuals, and companies that have been denied export and re-export privileges by BIS, and the Entity List, which consists of foreign end users who pose an unacceptable risk of diverting U.S. exports and the technology they contain to alternate destinations for the development of weapons of mass destruction
Return to Top

Standards - Canada

Health Canada's Consumer Product safety (CPS) legislation protects consumers against hazardous products based on its regulatory authority from the Hazardous Products Act (HPA).

Flammability Standards--Textile products manufactured, imported, advertised or sold in Canada are subject to the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act - CCPSA and must meet the flammability requirements set out in the Textile Flammability Regulations. See the Health Canada’s CCPSA Quick Reference Guide. See the Industry Guide to Flammability of Textile Products in Canada on the Heath Canada website.

The Hazardous Products Act has a minimum flammability standard for consumer textile articles, in particular children’s soft toys, articles of bedding, carpets, rugs and mats, mattresses and tents.

Children’s sleepwear has strict standards depending upon the design of the sleepwear. See the Children's sleepwear - flammability requirement guidelines: H128-1/08-523, for more information on children's sleepwear requirements. Note--in May 2017, Health Canada revised its policy on infant sleepwear sizing to align with the U.S. Children’s Sleepwear Regulations (16 C.F.R. Parts 1615).

All questions regarding the Hazardous Products Act should be directed to the Consumer Product Safety Office of Health Canada.

Upholstered & Stuffed Articles--The Upholstered and Stuffed Articles Act prohibits the use of unclean or used fillings in articles sold in Canada. A fiber content statement for all textile components used in articles such as pillows, comforters, sleeping bags, and quilted garments must be stated. See the Federal Labelling Requirements for Upholstered Furniture on the Canada Competition Bureau website. Although the fiber content of the filling or stuffing material used in upholstered furniture is not required to be disclosed under the federal Textile Labelling Act and Regulations, it should be noted that the provinces of Quebec, Ontario and Manitoba have provincial legislation regarding such labelling. Manufacturers, importers and distributors selling articles in these provinces should contact the appropriate provincial government office for more information. For further information on the federal labelling requirements for upholstered furniture, contact the Information Centre of the Competition Bureau.

Lead in Children's Products--Canada has regulations on lead in children's costume jewelry and toys. Reportedly, Canada is considering further lead regulations to prohibit excessive lead levels in clothing and clothing accessories intended for children under the age of 14 (unclear if footwear will be included). Even without, specific regulations related to lead content, Canada has the ability to recall products deemed to be a safety risk under the general prohibition of unsafe products entering Canada. For more information, see Health Canada, Consumer Products Division's Industry Guide to Health Canada's Safety Requirements for Children's Toys and Related Products, 2012.

Drawstrings on Children’s Clothing--Health Canada has released an industry guidance document titled Drawstrings on Children’s Upper Outerwear. Requirements set out in the guidance:
  • There shall be no drawstrings in the hood and neck area of children’s upper outerwear in sizes newborn to 12.
  • Children’s upper outerwear in sizes 2T to 16 should comply with ASTM F1816-97, which specifies length and design restrictions for drawstrings.
Children’s upper outerwear should, at a minimum, comply with the requirements. Noncompliance with these requirements could be found in violation of the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA).
Health Canada – Drawstrings on Childrens Upper Outerwear.pdfHealth Canada – Drawstrings on Childrens Upper Outerwear.pdf

Small Parts in Children's Products--Clothing and footwear is technically exempt from the small parts regulation, which applies to toys in Canada. However, apparel products have been recalled for small parts choking hazards under the general prohibition of unsafe products entering Canada.

Phthalates--Canadian regulations related to phthalates in child care articles only apply to vinyl materials.

Protective Clothing and Footwear--The Canadian General Standards Board deals with the certification of products and services, regulation of quality, and environmental management systems in relation to products such as protective clothing.
Footwear is regulated under CSA Z195-14, which covers design, performance and safety requirements. For more information, see the Canada Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) webpage Z195-14 - Protective footwear. See Industry Canada for information on standards related to Protective Clothing.

Window coverings--Under the Hazardous Products Act, all corded window covering products sold, advertised or imported into Canada must meet certain specifications of the National Standard of Canada, CAN/CSAZ600 Safety of Corded Window Covering Products. In addition to required product specifications, the standard specifies requirements concerning labeling and instructions.

See Industry Canada for information on standards in the following textiles related areas: Products designed to conform to U.S. standards will often meet Canadian standards with little or no modification. However, similarities between U.S. and Canadian standards do not relieve the U.S. exporter of the obligation to meet the Canadian standard.

NAFTA allows U.S. exporters to get "one-stop shopping" product approval for both the United States and Canada by submitting their product to only one organization in order to get product certification for both countries. This eliminates the time and expense of obtaining separate certifications for each market. Numerous U.S. testing and certification organizations have received accreditation from the Standards Council of Canada - SCC. Provincial regulations, however, do not fall under the NAFTA accreditation framework. U.S. companies faced with difficulties in obtaining provincial approvals should consult with the U.S. and Foreign Commercial Service to determine the nature of the problem.

Local standards organization and other resources:

The National Center for Standards and Certification Information (NCSCI) at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the U.S. Department of Commerce provides information on U.S. and foreign standards, technical regulations, and conformity assessment procedures for non-agricultural products. NCSCI staff responds to requests for information by identifying relevant standards and regulations, and by referral to the appropriate standards-developers or private-sector organizations. Under copyright restrictions, NCSCI cannot provide copies of standards, but NCSCI does provide sources for accessing standards.

Notify U.S. - Member countries of the World Trade Organization (WTO) are required under the Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT Agreement) to report to the WTO all proposed technical regulations that could affect trade with other Member countries. Notify U.S. is a free, web-based e-mail subscription service that offers U.S. companies an opportunity to review and comment on proposed foreign technical regulations that may affect their access to international markets.

Additional resources:

Examples of voluntary formaldehyde labeling programs

American Apparel and Footwear Association's Restricted Substances List

American National Standards Institute (ANSI)

ASTM International

International Organization for Standardization (ISO)

Return to Top

Labeling - Canada

Canada’s Competition Bureau administers and enforces labeling requirements for textile and apparel products sold in Canada, under the Textile Labelling Act and the Textile Labelling and Advertising Regulations. See Canada’s Competition Bureau website for a Guide to the Textile Labeling and Advertising Regulations (TLAR) and Labelling Assessment Tools - Textile Labelling.

Textile and apparel labels must include the dealer identification, country of origin, and fiber content (in English and French) information. Non-required information may include, care instructions, size, and trademarks or descriptive terms.

Dealer Identification--The dealer identity includes the name and address of the importer, manufacturer or distributor or the CA number. If available, the Canadian dealer's 5-digit identification number, commonly referred to as a "CA Number", can be used instead of a name and full postal address. For more information on the CA Identification number, see the Competition Bureau Canada website.

Country of Origin--Apparel products made and sold in Canada do not have to be labeled "Made in Canada". However, if the apparel is NOT made in Canada, but is being sold in Canada, it must say "Made in (country name)" on the label. Firms may wish to consult the Canadian Border Service Agency.

Fiber Content--The amount of textile fiber present in a textile product must be determined according to established test methods. For every fiber that is present in an amount of five percent or more by mass in a textile article, both the generic name and the amount must be listed on the label. The fibers must be listed in order of predominance and be in English and French. See the Guide to the Textile Labeling and Advertising Regulations (TLAR) for information on fiber content labeling.

Care Labeling--In Canada, there is a voluntary system for care labeling allowing the use written instructions or symbols. However, the Canadian General Standards Board - CGSB has developed a care labeling standard, identified as Care Labelling of Textiles - CAN/CGSB 86.1-2003. See the Office of Consumer Affairs of Industry Canada website for the Guide to Apparel and Textile Care Symbols. Copies of CAN/CGSB-86.1-2003 can be purchased from the Canadian General Standards Board - CGSB. Also, for further reference, see the Intertek brochure on care labeling (Intertek is a private quality assurance provider).

Size--Manufacturers are not required under the TLAR to manufacture garments that conform to specific size dimensions or use specific size codes. The determination of garment dimensions and designation of size codes or "sizes" are left to the discretion of the dealer. However, in accordance with Section 5 of the Act, where a size dimension has been identified, it must be accurate. For information and/or data regarding body dimensions for women, infants and children, as well as garment dimensions and size designations for specific articles of clothing for women, infants and children, please see the standards published by the Canadian General Standards Board - CGSB.

Language--Except in areas where only one official language is used in consumer transactions, the required fiber content information, that is, the generic names, as well as any information directly relating to the fiber content, must be bilingual. Two separate labels may be used, one English and one French. Care instructions are also required to be in French and in English. Dealer identification, as well as the country of origin, need only be in one of the official languages. The province of Quebec has additional requirements concerning the use of the French language on all products marketed within its jurisdiction. Information on these requirements may be obtained from the Office de la Langue Franšaise.

Province requirements--Textile and apparel products are subject to stuffed article labeling requirements in Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba.

Footwear -- Footwear must be labeled with the country of origin. Footwear is also subject to stuffed article labeling requirements in Ontario, Quebec, and Manitoba; as well as to Quebec's French language labeling requirement.

Additional labeling guides--

Product safety labeling--Additional labeling requirements may apply to certain products, such as children's sleepwear and floor covering under the flammability regulations in the Hazardous Products Act. Questions should be directed to the Consumer Product Safety Office of Health Canada.

Environmental labeling--Industry is charged with ensuring that any claims about a product being "environmentally-friendly" are accurate and in compliance with relevant legislation. In general, environmental claims that are ambiguous, misleading or irrelevant, or that cannot be substantiated, should not be used. For more information, see the Office of Consumer Affairs (OCA)-Environmental Labelling Programs - Ecolabels and Competition Canada's Environmental Claims: A Guide for Industry and Advertisers.

Advertising--Advertisements for textile and apparel products are subject to the advertising requirements of the Textile Labeling and Advertising Regulations. Fiber content disclosures are not required in the advertising of the product. However, if the fiber content is mentioned, the generic names of all fibers must then be stated in descending order of predominance. False representations in the advertising of apparel and textiles are strictly prohibited. See Canada’s Competition Bureau website for a Guide to the Textile Labeling and Advertising Regulations (TLAR).

Return to Top

Market Information - Canada

U.S. companies may contact the U.S. Commercial Service for information and personalized counseling at every step of the exporting process. Find a U.S. Export Assistance Centers near you.

For information on protecting trademarks, designs, patents and copyrights, see the STOPFAKES.GOV website. STOPFAKES.GOV is dedicated to helping U.S. companies protect their innovations and safely market their products at home and overseas. Find guidance and resources on how to register your company's intellectual property and protect it from counterfeiting and piracy. Also find IPR toolkits for select countries, as well as other country-specific information.

For information on selling to foreign governments, see the Global Procurement Opportunities website.

Other sources for market information and data:

The U.S. Commercial Service Market Research Library contains more than 100,000 industry and country-specific market reports, authored by specialists working in overseas posts. Some market research reports are available only to U.S. companies and U.S. students/researchers that are registered with Available reports are listed below.

  • Apparel Industry (7/28/2011)
OTEXA Export Market Report (U.S. export data for textiles, apparel, footwear and travel goods)

U.S. Department of Agriculture, Foreign Agricultural Service

U.S. Department of State - U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions

U.S. Office of the Trade Representative

Local Industry and Trade Associations

Return to Top