Market Reports/Tariffs
Textiles, Apparel, Footwear and Travel Goods

Hong Kong

Import Tariffs
Market Information

Last updated on 08/28/2012

If you have any questions about the following information, please contact Maria D'Andrea-Yothers at the U.S. Department of Commerce- Office of Textiles and Apparel at 202-482-4058 or click here for e-mail access.

**The following information is provided only as a guide and should be confirmed with the proper authorities before embarking on any export activities.**

Import Tariffs - Hong Kong
The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (HKSAR of the PRC) is a free port and does not levy any customs tariff on imports. Note: Hong Kong and China are separate customs territories with separate tariff schedules. For more detailed tariff information, see the Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department website or the Current Situation of Schedules of Members on the World Trade Organization website.

Samples/Temporary Entry--Hong Kong is a member of the ATA Carnet system and accepts carnets.

ATA Carnet--An ATA Carnet or "Merchandise Passport" is a document that facilitates the temporary importation of products into foreign countries by eliminating tariffs and other import taxes or charges normally required at the time of importation. For more information or to apply for an ATA Carnet, see the United States Council for International Business website.

If your product is primarily made in the U.S. of U.S. originating components it may qualify for duty-free entry into countries with which the U.S. has a free trade agreement (FTA). The U.S. currently has FTAs with the following countries: Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Jordan, Mexico, Morocco, Nicaragua, Oman, Panama, Peru, Singapore and South Korea. See the FTA Tariff Tool, to determine the duty-free status or reduced duties that apply to products eligible under these free trade agreements.

Additional resources for tariff information:

Return to Top

Import Documentation/Procedures (Hong Kong)

No specific information is available.

For more information on local customs rules and regulations:
Customs and Excise Department

For information on common export documents, such as transportation documents, export compliance documents, certificates of origin, certificates for shipments of specific goods, temporary shipment documents, and other export-related documents, see the webpage on Common Export Documents.

For country-specific information on import procedures and documentation requirements, see the
Country Commercial Guides (CCG) on the website.

Return to Top

Import Restrictions (Hong Kong)
No information is currently available on any bans, quotas, or other restrictions.
U.S. Export Restrictions:

The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) in the U.S. Department of the Treasury administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions against targeted foreign countries, terrorists, and international narcotics traffickers and their agents in accordance with U.S. foreign policy and national security goals. The OFAC website includes summaries of sanctions programs for various countries and the “Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons” (SDNs) list of entities and individuals with whom U.S. persons may not conduct business and whose property must be blocked if under the control of a U.S. person.

The Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) in the U.S. Department of Commerce is responsible for implementing and enforcing the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), which regulate the export and re-export of most commercial items. BIS maintains the Denied Persons List, which consists of individuals, and companies that have been denied export and re-export privileges by BIS, and the Entity List, which consists of foreign end users who pose an unacceptable risk of diverting U.S. exports and the technology they contain to alternate destinations for the development of weapons of mass destruction
Return to Top

Standards - Hong Kong

Hong Kong does not have central standards bodies developing and issuing domestic standards.

Premises that require government licensing to commence business operations such as hotels, guest houses, karaoke, and entertainment venues must comply with fire and building safety standards before licenses are granted. The Hong Kong Government’s Fire Services’ Code of Practice requires that textile products such as carpets, mattresses and curtains comply with flame-retardant standards (Class 1 or 2 Rate of Surface Spread of Flame according to British Standard 476: Part 7 or its international equivalent.) These regulations do not apply to home furnishings and non-licensed commercial premises.

In addition, the Consumer Goods Safety Ordinance (Cap 456) requires that all consumer goods manufactured, imported or supplied for consumption in Hong Kong satisfy the general safety requirements or any prescribed safety standards. Compliance with the following standards would be considered as having satisfied the "general safety requirement" where flammability is concerned for mattress and upholstered furniture:
  • Mattresses - Specification established in the United States Code of Federal Regulations 16 CFR 1632 - Standards for the flammability of mattresses and mattress pads (FF 4-72, amended); Specification established in the United States California Law, California Business and Professions Code, Division 8, Chapter 3 for mattresses BS 7177:1996
  • Upholstered furniture - AS/NZ 4088.1:1996; Specification established in the United States California Law, California Business and Professions Code, Division 8, Chapter 3 for upholstered furniture
  • Toys and children's products are subject to special regulations, standards and conformity assessment mechanisms.
See Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission - ITC website for specific product regulations and standards. Information on Hong Kong’s technical regulations can be obtained from the Hong Kong Information Services website. Technical regulations are published in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Gazette.

Application for accreditation is open to any certification body which operates a third-party product certification system of type 1b, 2, 3, 4 or 5 as described in ISO/IEC Guide 67: 2004 for specific types of consumer products in one of the following product groups: Textiles, garments, and footwear Hong Kong Accreditation Service.

Local standards organization and other resources:

The National Center for Standards and Certification Information (NCSCI) at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the U.S. Department of Commerce provides information on U.S. and foreign standards, technical regulations, and conformity assessment procedures for non-agricultural products. NCSCI staff responds to requests for information by identifying relevant standards and regulations, and by referral to the appropriate standards-developers or private-sector organizations. Under copyright restrictions, NCSCI cannot provide copies of standards, but NCSCI does provide sources for accessing standards.

Notify U.S. - Member countries of the World Trade Organization (WTO) are required under the Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT Agreement) to report to the WTO all proposed technical regulations that could affect trade with other Member countries. Notify U.S. is a free, web-based e-mail subscription service that offers U.S. companies an opportunity to review and comment on proposed foreign technical regulations that may affect their access to international markets.

Additional resources:

Examples of voluntary formaldehyde labeling programs

American Apparel and Footwear Association's Restricted Substances List

American National Standards Institute (ANSI)

ASTM International

International Organization for Standardization (ISO)

Return to Top

Labeling - Hong Kong

No specific information is available.

Return to Top

Market Information - Hong Kong

No specific information is available.

U.S. companies may contact the U.S. Commercial Service for information and personalized counseling at every step of the exporting process. Find a U.S. Export Assistance Centers near you.

For information on protecting trademarks, designs, patents and copyrights, see the STOPFAKES.GOV website. STOPFAKES.GOV is dedicated to helping U.S. companies protect their innovations and safely market their products at home and overseas. Find guidance and resources on how to register your company's intellectual property and protect it from counterfeiting and piracy. Also find IPR toolkits for select countries, as well as other country-specific information.

For information on selling to foreign governments, see the Global Procurement Opportunities website.

Other sources for market information and data:

OTEXA Export Market Report (U.S. export data for textiles, apparel, footwear and travel goods)

U.S. Department of Agriculture, Foreign Agricultural Service

U.S. Department of State - U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions

U.S. Office of the Trade Representative

Local Industry and Trade Associations

Return to Top